Re: where is everyone or is linux stable ?

Norbert Veber (none@vtech.dyn.ml.org)
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 01:24:22 -0500

On Fri, Jan 23, 1998 at 09:49:13PM -0500, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> From: "Adam J. Richter" <adam@yggdrasil.com>
> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 15:04:22 -0800
>
> There was a problem with spam flowing in the usenet->mail
> direction of the gateway, but I would certainly like to see flow
> restored in the mail->news direction. I think it would attract more
> code development again and would make it easier for people to get answers
> about "what's the status of foo" without needing to using the time
> of human contributors as much.
>
> There are a couple of problems I see with gatewaying mail to Usenet.
>
> The first is that spammer's *do* seem to harvest e-mail addresses that
> are sent to Usenet, whereas this doesn't seem to happen quite as much
> with private mailing lists.

How about a private news server then? ie. news.vger.rutgers.edu, it would
be just as hard to find as the mailing list itself, and (correct me if I'm
wrong) usenet is more efficient for distributing messages to this many
people then email. Not everyone wants to read every message posted to the
list, but they receive them all nonetheless. I don't think bandwidth would
be too much of a problem either, as the data is afterall just text. I'm
sure there are others out there that would also perfer a newsgroup (and
those that do not can stay on the list..)

Just my 2 cents :)