Re: Do I have to make modules and make modules_install in 2.0.33.

Sat, 24 Jan 1998 05:00:46 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Frank Peng wrote:

> excuse me! If I did not select Y when kerneld, do I have to make modules
> when I recompile kernel. Or if I enable kerneld, I do not take care any
> modules business. Is that right?

Well to build modules you have to do a make modules, and to install them,
make modules_install is usual ...

Kerneld is a daemon that loads modules when asked to by the kernel,
kerneld just calls on modprobe to load the actual modules. You can load
modules manualy if you want with either insmod or modprobe. Modprobe will
load all modules that the one requested depends on.

If you say no to kerneld support when you build the kernel, then the
kernel won't generate requests for modules. You can still run kerneld,
but it's not going to do anything.

> In my recently installed kernel 2.0.33, it says can not locate some
> modules. And I saw the kerneld is active. Averything is confusing.

Well it's not going to be the kernel, but kerneld ;). Some things can be
ignored, like net-pf-4 and net-pf-5 which are ipx and appletalk
respectivly. Some program (ifconfig I think) querys all networking
types, causing kerneld to be asked for them, they don't exist so it logs
the fact, other things may be more important, like net-pf-1 which is unix
(as in unix domain sockets) things brake without those. Things like
char-major-6 are asking for the obvious module (in this case the lp one)

> Since 2.0.33, we no longer need to make modules and make modules_install ?

Hmm, I assume so, you still have to at 2.1.80 (which is the current
devlopment kernel unless 2.1.81 has been released in the last couple of
hours;).

Bryn
PS look in linux/Documentation/modules.txt (in the kernel source tree).

--
PGP Pub key http://www.gytha.demon.co.uk/pubkey.asc      ID: 1024/30AF2D69
On-line, adj.:         FP: FC 4E 41 9E 64 C3 AB 28 A3 5A 57 F8 CC D9 A7 B8