Re: how to learn kernel programming

Richard Guy Briggs (rgb@conscoop.flora.org)
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 10:01:40 -0500 (EST)

> From: Adam Wiggins <madman@zip.com.au>
> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 18:19:54 +1100 (EST)
> Subject: Re: how to learn kernel programming
>
> On Fri, 23 Jan 1998 aem@netcom.ca wrote:
>
> > > As an aside, I tend to find that I learn virtually nothing from sitting down
> > > and reading source code. I do, however, learn a great deal by tracing source
> > > code in an attempt to examine a particular execution path in detail.
> >
> > I kind of agree. I've learned much about Linux this way
> > [but I've learned even more by trying to write kernel code]
> >
> > I started first by tracing the code from boot to init, then each
> > system call while making plenty of notes along the way.
>
> How exactly do you go about tracing code from to init?
> there is a lot of src there and finding functions when your new to the
> structure could be hard.

I started with ctags, gctags and etags programs for vi or emacs to easily
find the defined objects. It made a huge difference.

> Cheers Adam

Slainte Mhath, rgb

--
Richard Guy Briggs -- PGP key available                       Auto-Free Ottawa!
rgb at conscoop dot flora dot org                     http://www.flora.org/afo/

"We left our footprints in the Earth And punched a hole right through the sky" -- S.Hogarth/J.Helmer(Marillion)