Re: BIND problem with hundreds of IP aliases under Linux 2.0.33

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 00:09:34 -0500 (EST)

On 22 Jan 1998, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

> Software: bind
> Version: 8.1.1
> Platform: Debian GNU/Linux, libc6, kernel 2.0.33
>
> I'm running into a problem with starting up BIND on a machine with
> hundreds and hundreds of IP aliased eth0 interfaces. I want a
> cache-only nameserver on our web box that serves about 240 virtual
> domains, but BIND dies on startup, with this message:
>
> [root@everybody:~]# /etc/init.d/bind start 6:45PM
> Starting domain name service: namedsocket(SOCK_STREAM): Invalid argument
> /etc/init.d/bind: line 32: 3744 Aborted start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/sbin/named

Read the docs and use the listen-on config option. You probably don't
need bind listening on every virtual interface.

Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/message.
Florida Digital Turnpike |