Re: 3.0 wishlist Was: Overview of 2.2.x goals?

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 15:51:10 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, linux kernel account wrote:
> I would guess that very few apps can be exploited with this patch..
>
> When the orignal patch was posted, I offered $50 to anyone who could
> produce an exploit for any version of linux running that kernel.. No one
> took me up on it..
>
> So, while not perfect, it does make it harder..

Yes. There is no reason we should make it easier for lusers to crack root.
Just because the patch isn't perfect and doesn't apply to 100% of all
possibilities doesn't mean it's not a worthy patch.

E.g. the SYNflood patch doesn't make denial of service attacks impossible,
but it does make it harder. But I guess _some_ people (guess who :-) would
say since SYNflood patch isn't perfect under 100% of all cases, that it is
totally worthless.

-Dan