Re: OFFTOPIC: (Re: 3.0 wishlist....)-->64bit

Adam McKee (amckee@poboxes.com)
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 12:33:26 -0600 (CST)

What about gcc? I'm not totally informed in these matters, but from what
I've seen, there are many hoops a compiler must jump through to compile
for the IA-64, especially with decent optimizations.

IA-64 takes the attitude of "let's offload lots of work to the compiler,
and get rid of as much hairy logic on the chip as possible so we can
devote logic to actually doing work..." which I really like as you might
tell.

I'm sure IA-64 isn't nearly as full of original design ideas as Intel
would have us believe -- they say it's not RISC, for example, but it sure
looks like RISC.

Comments, corrections, flames?

-- Adam