Re: CONFIG_TRANS_NAMES CONFIG_PNP_ISA

Joe Pranevich (joepran@telerama.lm.com)
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:34:53 -0500

Peter Andres wrote:

> I found this options in Documentation/Configure.help, but now way to
> enable them with make ???config.
> I found some traces of CONFIG_TRANS_NAMES in /fs but nothing for
> CONFIG_PNP_ISA.
>
> Is there support for these options (and some related) somewhere or are
> they broken ?

These are patches from the CVS tree that haven't been ported to the main
tree yet.

Maybe someone can answer this one, *will* these patches be in the main
tree before 2.3? I am led to assume that the Configure.help constitutes
a place-holder for the patches so that they do not qualify for the
freeze, but that is pure speculation on my part. My personal opinion is
that at least PnP support is important for 2.2, but my opinion doesn't
count for much. :) (I'd actually help out with the driver instead of
just giving my opinion but I have too many other things going on right
now.)

Can someone (maybe Alan, I seem to think for some reason that he had
something to do with it..., but I could be wrong) explain what is going
on? Or is it a simply a matter of if the patch becomes stable and clean
enough then it will be in 2.2 else it will have to wait to 2.3. :)

Joe