Re: sys_chown() hits symlinks

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 22:54:14 +0100

On Jan 18, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> > Sounds like ther kernel is begging for a lsys_chown. I would speculate it
> > is so that any joe user can nuke a symlink that he created, otherwise
> > wouldn't the root:root semantics be a limiting factor? I know that symlinks
> > are lrwxrwxrwx, it's neccessary to set the owner so any joe user can't just
> > nuke any symlink (I am aware that current directory owner/perms affect this).
> > Symlinks should not be at the mercy of the directory perms, files aren't.
> >

> Incorrect. Neither the owner nor the mode of a symlink have any
> effects, whatsoever.

well, it's visual e.g. in `ls -l' output etc, so there are at least
`esthetic' problems (and e.g. when comparing different outputs of ls)
but probably not much more...

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\