Re: devfs patch v3

Mark H. Wood (mwood@mhw.OIT.IUPUI.EDU)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 12:59:33 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 11 Jan 1998, C. Scott Ananian wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 1998 "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> wrote:
>
> > Old system in /dev. New SCSI names in /dev/disk, along with IDE.
> > Volume lables and serial numbers in /dev/vol, as links to the
> > right disks and partitions.
>
> Hear, hear! The voice of reason. We should (of course) maintain the old
> names in /dev for compatibility. If you have a mongo disk-farm, then
> there can be a config or run-time option to disable them. The rest of us
> slackers can upgrade without fear. Putting the new SCSI names in
> /dev/disk keeps them out of the way (and the dir. structure under
> /dev/disk can be as deep as you like). Serial/ID numbers in /dev/vol
> means that those who like to move disks around need not move /etc/fstab
> likes around. Can everyone live with that?
> --Scott

Dare I note that this looks a lot like the IMHO very successful way that
VMS does it? When you mount a disk volume on DUA1, you get several /SYSTEM
logicals:

node$DUA1
alloclass$DUA1
DISK$volume-id
DISK$whatever-the-user-specified-on-the-MOUNT-command

and maybe another one or two I've forgotten. Any one of them refers to
the same storage volume.

Eventually I can't see anything but diagnostic software caring what
adapter/bus/physical-unit/LUN/partition anything is. When I ask "what
disk is that", what I really want to know is "what data are on it?"

A bug on the windshield of an onrushing future.