Re: NT vs Linux (the inevitable holy war solved!)

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 10:26:08 +0100 (MET)

[vigirous reshuffling by me -- REW]
Paul Wilkins wrote:

> > > Here's a new one... Ever heard of a bad diskette crashing a NT system?
> > > Well, it sure will... Don't that suck? I still don't believe it...

> I just had to say that broadly advertising NT bugs only helps M$
> improve their product. Let's not waste bandwidth telling M$ what they
> need to fix huh?
>

> This is definately off topic in the first place.

Lets make it on-topic then.

Anybody looking for a nice kernel-project?

-- Fix ext2fs to not panic on disk errors. Nowadays it does
ext2_panic (inode->i_sb, "ext2_read_inode", [..]);
when it gets a disk error in an inode block. It should "reject"
the request and attempt to continue. If this happens on critical
data on my root disk, then the system will crawl to a halt soon
enough, and when it happens on a floppy I got from a friend of a
friend, which I just shoved into my file/mail server it is quite
anoying.....

(Testing is usually hard for this kind of problems. However as you
have the source, you can modify the floppy driver to refuse (return
error) a read say 1 in 10 times.)

Regards,

Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** +31-15-2137555 ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ **
Florida -- A 39 year old construction worker woke up this morning when a