Re: Crash dumps (was: Re: 3.0 wishlist Was: Overview of 2.2.x goals?)

Alan Modra (alan@spri.levels.unisa.edu.au)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 09:47:47 +1030 (CST)

Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> > > using the old 0x1234 warm reboot trick should avoid wiping the memory.
> > I've tried now with reboot=w,b and executing the reboot command,
> > and the (AMI) BIOS seems to ignore this completely and still happily
> > clears all my memory. Did anybody get the BIOS to _not_ interfere ?
>
> Is this related to the memory test? E.g. does turning off the memory test
> fix things?

Even if you manage to turn off the memory test, it's likely that the
RAM size discovery code will trash a few bytes. Refresh might be
disabled too when the reset button is held down.