Re: 3.0 wishlist Was: Overview of 2.2.x goals?

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 13:44:41 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Jordan Mendelson wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, MOLNAR Ingo wrote:
> > an OOPS 100% tells you where and why the oops happened. Now, to determine
> > what the real reason for the oops was is quite complex, and in many cases
> > a crashdump doesnt help much. I would say the existance of a crashdump
> > hinders development more than the nonexistance of it ...
>
> My problem with OOPs's is that usually, when one happens.. it is > 25
> lines, and scrolls off the screen before the machine is at a dead halt. Of
> course, when this happens, that oops sure isn't going to be written to the
> logs.

Linux/m68k on Amiga has a solution for this: it allocates a piece of Chip RAM
and stores all kernel messages in it. After a reboot, you can use a special
program to find them.

The code is in arch/m68k/amiga/config.c. Look for savekmsg. The post mortem
tool is arch/m68k/tools/amiga/dmesg.c.

Greetings,

Geert

--