Re: 3.0 wishlist Was: Overview of 2.2.x goals?

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 17:48:30 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, linux kernel account wrote:
> > > How about a kernel panic core memory dump to disk for forensic research?
> > The current logic behind not doing this in linux is that since its
> > impossible to do it perfectly (e.g. 100% foolproof under all situations),
> > it shouldnt be done at all. (Still, BSD manages to do it).
> I think you should point out the classic horror story:
>
> Imagine the panic results in the coruption of the disk driver or the FS
> and it decides to dump core all over your important data..

Thats why BSD and others do a CRC on the dump code to make sure everything
is consistent enough to do a dump. It also only writes to reserved section
of the disk and not the filesystem. Thus the horror story becomes vapor.

-Dan