Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #1482

G. Sumner Hayes (zumner@collegium.adsl.net.cmu.edu)
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 00:29:26 -0500

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

On Sat, Jan 17, 1998 at 06:43:51PM -0900, Britton wrote:

> This message relates partly to the structure of make menuconfig. Don't
> skip the boring basic stuff.
>
> I recently bought an ethernet card.

[Snip: PCI NE2000 card]

> 1. Part of the reason I bought it was that I noticed (in the store, on
> Lose95, with no way to unpack a tar archieve) that it included a file
> 'pcilinux.tar' on the driver disk.

Cool, nice to see them at least acknowledge Linux (even if they are
making PCI NE2000 cards, ugh).

[The standard Linux NE2000 driver appeared to work]

> I not have done any further checking on the correctness of this, since I
> don't know how yet and it seems fairly authoritative, but I am still
> wondering if everything is working right. If it is, perhaps a new
> 'NE2000' line should be added to the
>
> EISA, VLB, PCI and on board controllers
>
> subsection of make menuconfig.

The NE2000 drivers have had at least some work done to make them function
with PCI NE2000 cards.

The ISA/EISA-VLB-PCI distinction seems to be breaking down a bit. The
NE2000 isn't the only PCI card in the "Other ISA cards" section if:

HP 10/100VG PCLAN (ISA, EISA, PCI) support

is accurate. It's still better than lumping all the cards together
(as used to happen), but if someone thinks of a better scheme it might
be time to change it. Maybe split out HP and Intel (EtherExpress) into
their own vendor categories like 3COM, WD, and AMD, then lump everything
else into a "Other Ethernet Cards" section? That section would be the
same size as the current "Other ISA Cards" section once you moved
Etherexpress and HP out, but I don't know enough about what clones are
around and such to know if it would make sense.

-Sumner

--
rage, rage against the dying of the light

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh Content-Type: application/pgp-signature

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh--