Re: devfs

Kevin Lentin (kevinl@cs.monash.edu.au)
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 12:30:54 +1100

On Wed, Jan 14, 1998 at 11:29:23PM -0800, Leonard N. Zubkoff wrote:
> However, since you raise this again, Leonard, what about the issue of
> slices within a partition? It appears that Solaris two places multiple
> slices inside a standard MS-DOS-style partition. What would you
> suggest to handle that? How about:
> /dev/sd/c0b0t0d0p1s6 :-)
>
> Ugh. I sure hope we don't need both "p" and "s". My only Solaris experience
> is on the SPARC, and there's no "p" in use there. Do we really need both?

I think we're missing the point. What we _need_ is dictated by what we've
_got_. We have partitions. We don't have slices. So we use 'p'. If slices
get added into Linux one day then the device naming will have to be changed
anyway.

This is why I've pushed for using 'p' not 's'. It's more than aesthetics
or personal preference: 's' is WRONG for 'fdisk' generated disk layout.

--
[     Kevin Lentin               Email: K.Lentin@cs.monash.edu.au      ]