Re: gcc-2.8.0 miscompiles kernel (Was: gcc-2.8 out...)

Christopher Seawood (cls@seawood.org)
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 09:22:02 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Jesse Thilo wrote:

> > They're not.
> > gcc 2.8 is aimed at being 100% reliable,
>
> For what it's worth, it doesn't seem to have quite reached that aim
> yet. When I compile kernel 2.0.33 with gcc 2.7.2.3, it works fine.
> When I compile the same kernel (same configuration, after executing
> "make mrproper") with gcc 2.8.0, my X servers and certain other
> programs dump core. I don't have detailed information yet, but it
> appears that the programs are dumping core in routines that perform
> I/O port access.

Last I heard, this was a known problem as some kernel code relied upon a
gcc hack that got fixed. It is fixed in the lastest development kernels.
Anyone know when/if these fixes will be backported to 2.0.x ?

Regards
Christopher

---
Christopher Seawood             * Software Engineer/System Admin
cls@seawood.org                 * http://www.seawood.org