Re: [Feature Wish] GGI in Linux 2.3

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 12:55:49 +0100 (CET)

On 16 Jan 1998, Jason McMullan wrote:
> Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be) wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > > What about running libGGI on top of the framebuffer device drivers, Geert?? :-)
> > Perfectly possible. And IMHO it would be a very interesting target!
>
> I'm all for it! Making a libGGI display target for the fbcon
> architectures should be a matter of 2-3 hours coding, and 5-10

It's `frame buffer devices', not `fbcon architectures'. You can have a frame
buffer device without fbcon support, but then you won't have a text console on
it :-)

BTW, I updated the docs at

http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~geert/Console/
http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~geert/Console.tex

Expect some patches RSN (I hope, still merging with vger.rutgers.edu-current).

> hours debugging. All you have to provide to be a libGGI
> target is:
>
> * ggiPutPixel

You have to write that yourself. The application should query the frame buffer
device for its memory organization (FBIOGET_FSCREENINFO ioctl), and then you
can select the correct code for that organization.

> * ggiCheckMode

FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO ioctl, with flag FB_ACTIVATE_TEST.

> * ggiSetMode

FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO ioctl, with flag FB_ACTIVATE_NOW.

> * ggiPollEvent/ggiReadEvent [mouse/keyboard access]

Use the standard Linux VT stuff.

Greetings,

Geert

--