Re: [Feature Wish] GGI in Linux 2.3

Jason McMullan (jmcc@beans.visus.com)
16 Jan 1998 10:43:23 GMT

Jes Degn Soerensen (jds@kom.auc.dk) wrote:
> Ehmm, as far as I remember there was something about the GGI stuff on
> the m68k being incredible slow compared to the fbcon stuff we've been
> using for a long time.

That was/is correct. Which is why we started the major rewrite
of the Kernel code. (available at http://salsa.visus.com/~jmcc)

Interestingly, our new scroll_* function call interface is
surprisingly similar to the one Geert and friends ended up
with (and I _was_ surprised - I just took a look at Geert's
code when it popped into linux/drivers/video last week!)

Anyhow, we expect the slowdown problem (with the new code)
to be non-existent on the fbcon architectures, since the
(proposed) console-scroll-fbcon driver will simply wrap
the fbcon scroll functions with the KGI scroll functions.

Ya know, backwards compatability and that...

Eventually (if the m68k guys see a demand) a full-fledged
display driver could be written for fbcon architectures,
but that will not be required.

--
Jason McMullan - Linux - GGI - http://beans.visus.com/~jmcc
NT 5.0 is the last nail in the Unix coffin. Interestingly, Unix