Re: devfs

Joseph H. Buehler (jhpb@sarto.gaithersburg.md.us)
16 Jan 1998 01:32:06 -0500

"Leonard N. Zubkoff" <lnz@dandelion.com> writes:

> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 17:04:34 +1100
> From: Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU>
>
> I guess I could live with that. It would actually bring things more
> into line with Solaris 2 (except that we have a bus identifier as
> well).
> However, since you raise this again, Leonard, what about the issue of
> slices within a partition? It appears that Solaris two places multiple
> slices inside a standard MS-DOS-style partition. What would you
> suggest to handle that? How about:
> /dev/sd/c0b0t0d0p1s6 :-)
>
> Ugh. I sure hope we don't need both "p" and "s". My only Solaris experience
> is on the SPARC, and there's no "p" in use there. Do we really need both?
>
> Leonard

SVR4.0, an ancestor of Solaris (more or less), made slices from the
entire disk, more or less ignoring the DOS partition table. My old
ESIX SVR4 box had slice 0 for the entire hard drive, 5 for the C:
partition (so it could mount the DOS filesystem), and a few other
slices for things like swap, boot and root. It was all based on
starting block/number of blocks, so you could indeed put more than one
slice per DOS partition if you liked, but it really had nothing to do
with the partition table per se.

Joe Buehler