Re: possible knfs bug...

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Wed, 07 Jan 1998 12:25:27 -0500

Frank Heldt wrote:

> But when mounting the Linux server from an OS-9 2.4 VME-box
> I get strange results:
>
> 1. Mounting "/tmp" as "/knfs" on the OS-9 box.
> OS-9 cmd is: "mount linux240:/tmp /knfs"
>
> 2. Create 2 files under "/knfs".
> OS-9: cd /knfs
> OS-9: echo xxx > xxx; echo yyyyyyyy > yyyyyyyy
> OS-9: dir -e (is like ls -l) gives:
> Directory of . 12:25:30
> Owner Last modified Attributes Sector Bytecount Name
> ------- ------------- ---------- ------ --------- ----
> 254.204 63/09/24 1010 ------wr 853 4 xxx
> 254.204 63/09/24 1010 ------wr 854 9 yyyyyyyy
>
> 3. Now copy xxx to yyyyyyyy.
> OS-9: copy -r xxx yyyyyyyy (-r means overwrite)
> OS-9: dir -e gives:
> Directory of . 12:30:54
> Owner Last modified Attributes Sector Bytecount Name
> ------- ------------- ---------- ------ --------- ----
> 200.204 63/09/24 1010 ------wr 853 4 xxx
> 200.204 63/09/24 1015 ------wr 854 9 yyyyyyyy
>
> OS-9: list yyyyyyyy (list is like cat)
> xxx
> yyyy
>
> So it seems, that the second file didn't get truncated.
> Also very strange is the file date (on the Linux site
> the timestamps are ok).
> This behavior does not show up with the unfs server !
>
> OK Bill, how can I help to fix this bug ? What other Infos do
> you need ?

Hi Frank,

A couple of questions ... if you check the file yyyyyyyy on the Linux
server, does it have the correct contents? From the output it looks as
though the OS-9 client may not have flushed its caches -- note that the
file length seems correct (3 + a newline), but the data is the old file
contents.

When running with the unfsd server, at the file dates correct with the
OS-9 client?

If this behavior is reproducible, could you try doing a lookup of xyzzy
on the server to turn on debugging, then repeat the file creation
process?

Also, were there any other problems noted with the OS-9 client?

Regards,
Bill