Re: Suggestion for handling of boot-time driver options

Rene Hoejbjerg Larsen (renehl@post1.tele.dk)
31 Dec 1997 01:48:03 GMT

Dominik Kubla wrote:
> Just in case you don't know: some companies don't port their commercial
> software to linux because the license of the C/C++ library would force
> them to provide the customer with the source code. No joke!

That is only because they never actually read the license(s). Libc is
LGPL (meaning "no problem here"), and libstdc++ is GPL with the
following important exception:

// As a special exception, if you link this library with files
// compiled with a GNU compiler to produce an executable, this does not
cause
// the resulting executable to be covered by the GNU General Public
License.
// This exception does not however invalidate any other reasons why
// the executable file might be covered by the GNU General Public
License.

(this is taken from a random `.cc' file in the libstdc++ subdirectory of
the egcs-1.0 source tree).

Sorry for being slightly off-topic for this list.

--
        /'"`\  zzzZ   | My PGP Public Key is available at:
       ( - - )        | <http://home1.inet.tele.dk/renehl/>