Re: Filesystem optimization.. - why not optimise squid?

Chris Adams (cadams@ro.com)
30 Dec 1997 16:49:57 GMT

>>The other thing of course is there I'd like everything to benifit from a
>>faster filesystem, rather than just squid (admittedly squid is the main
>>push at the moment). Maximal benifit for minimum effort and all that jazz.
>
> Squid and INN are the only 2 applications I know of which do that sort
>of thing (along with other less popular programs which try to emulate those
>two). INN is moving towards a database, so if Squid does the same then
>what do you gain from a new FS?

Those are two applications that are having problems today. What about
things like having to split mail directories and directories of home
directories on systems with thousands of users? There are also users
that want to put 1000 files in their public_html directory and don't
understand why it bogs down the server.

Instead of fixing a dozen different applications and shifting things
around to make it work, wouldn't it be better to optimize the file
system to handle large directories?

--
Chris Adams - cadams@ro.com
System Administrator - Renaissance Internet Services