Re: Default character set of the Linux console (fwd)

Qrczak (qrczak@knm.org.pl)
Sat, 27 Dec 1997 19:45:57 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 27 Dec 1997, Krzysztof G. Baranowski wrote:

> Personally I think that keeping custom maps after \Ec is a really bad
> idea, as \Ec should reset console to "definitely usable" state, and
> when custom map is loaded, you cannot guarantee this.

For you ISO-8859-1 is a usable state and ISO-8859-2 are strange foreign
alphabets. Now, for me ISO-8859-2 is normal and ISO-8859-1 is simply one
of the foreign sets :-)

I can agree that ISO-8859-1 is some sort of the default. OK. But there
_must_ be a way for using ISO-8859-2 with all those programs which don't
care about character sets and reset the console instead of clearing the
screen.

If a screen font contains only garbage, the state is, hmm, not usable. But
^[c doesn't load the default font. That's good for me, because I know that
I've loaded ISO-8859-2, not garbage, and I want it almost all the time.

I agree that it's good when there is a method for resetting everything to
a known state. But ^[c is sometimes overused and if I simply load and
activate a custom map without hacking terminfo or the kernel, sooner or
later all beautiful Polish letters (except those without accents) are
gone. So either there should be a different, stronger reset, and ^[c
wouldn't touch the map then, or one could decide if ^[c should change the
map, or one could define which map ^[c activates, or...

Remember: Not everyone wants ISO-8859-1.

--
                                 QRCZAK      #
    __("<              Marcin Kowalczyk     #*#