Re: inclomplete STANDARD_MEMORY_BIOS_CALL remove in 2.1.75

Hans Lermen (lermen@elserv.ffm.fgan.de)
Sat, 27 Dec 1997 02:29:07 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 26 Dec 1997, Martin Mares wrote:

> > This should be cleaned up either by removing the STANDARD_MEMORY_BIOS_CALL
> > code completely or by reinstalling the '#ifndef STANDARD_MEMORY_BIOS_CALL'
> > in arch/i386/kernel/setup.c.
>
> (1) I don't see ALT_MEM_K used anywhere in setup.c if STANDARD_..._CALL
> is defined.

but in arch/i386/boot/compressed/misc.c (see below), those things depend
on each other;-)

> (2) Your solution with patching setup.S to set PARAM+0x1e0 to zero is
> better, because we can remove the STANDARD_..._CALL ifndef from setup.c
> completely. ^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is not enough:

To remove/rework the 'STANDARD_MEMORY_BIOS_CALL, ALT_MEM_K' you need to
look at the following files ('grep' is your friend;-):

arch/i386/boot/setup.S
arch/i386/boot/compressed/misc.c
arch/i386/kernel/setup.c

> Anyway, thanks for reporting the problem -- I don't use the old way

Right, the 'old way' isn't needed any more, its handled by the 'new'
anyway.

Hans
<lermen@fgan.de>