Re: crashes in a Mathematica environment

Doug Ledford (dledford@dialnet.net)
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 10:32:19 -0600 (CST)

On 23-Dec-97 Raymond A. Ingles wrote:
>> I am currently running RedHat 4.1 Linux (Kernel 2.0.27) on a 200 MHz AMD
>K-6
>> with 96 MB of RAM. My problems are a variety of Linux crashes and
>bizarre
>> failures when running Mathematica 3.0 and 3.0.1.1 under X. The
>Mathematica
>> notebooks which cause the problems involve many hours of cpu time and
>often
>> reach execution sizes (for the Mathematica Kernel) of several hundred MB
> ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^ ^^
>> (working set sizes are typically around 86 - 88 MB). So far I have
>> experienced the following problems:

First off, I would try the 2.0.33 kernel. There have been a number of
improvements in the swap and vm management code in 2.0.3x and your systems
sounds like it is stressing those exact parts pretty heavy. Besides, it's
hard to debug a problem in older kernel versions if we don't know if it
repeats in the current kernel version.

>> Note that I have 4 133 MB swap partitions configured (one primary and
>> three in the extended partition).
>
> Hmmm. I am *not* a kernel guru (not even a young grasshopper) but I
>thought that swap partitions were currently limited to 128MB. If that's
>actually the case, I don't know what would happen if you tried to use
>larger ones. Maybe one of the actual kernel types knows?

If you have more than 128MB then when you run mkswap on the partition it
simply truncates the swap partition header to show a length of 128MB. No
problem here.

E-Mail: Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net>
Date: 23-Dec-97
Time: 10:32:20