Re: crashes in a Mathematica environment

Raymond A. Ingles (inglesra@FRC.COM)
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 09:19:33 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 22 Dec 1997 KOEHLEKR@UCRWCU.RWC.UC.EDU wrote:

> I am sending this note to the linux-kernel list because I am having a variety
> of system crashes and hangs which seem to me (after 28 years around operating
> systems internals) to reflect a basic kernel-level problem. Please believe
> me that I am NOT confusing the Mathematica kernel with the Linux kernel!

Sure doesn't seem like it. :->

> I am currently running RedHat 4.1 Linux (Kernel 2.0.27) on a 200 MHz AMD K-6
> with 96 MB of RAM. My problems are a variety of Linux crashes and bizarre
> failures when running Mathematica 3.0 and 3.0.1.1 under X. The Mathematica
> notebooks which cause the problems involve many hours of cpu time and often
> reach execution sizes (for the Mathematica Kernel) of several hundred MB
^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^ ^^
> (working set sizes are typically around 86 - 88 MB). So far I have
> experienced the following problems:

[deletions]

> Note that I have 4 133 MB swap partitions configured (one primary and
> three in the extended partition).

Hmmm. I am *not* a kernel guru (not even a young grasshopper) but I
thought that swap partitions were currently limited to 128MB. If that's
actually the case, I don't know what would happen if you tried to use
larger ones. Maybe one of the actual kernel types knows?

I assume you have no other processes that put you that far into swap
space. If someone confirms that I actually am right about the 128MB
limit per partition, then this could explain it...

Sincerely,

Raymond Ingles (248) 377-7735 ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

They said there'd be snow at Christmas; They said there'd be peace on Earth.
Halelujah Noel, be it Heaven or Hell; The Christmas we get we deserve.
-ELP, "I Believe in Father Christmas"