Re: 8390.c + 2.1 SMP, IO-APIC irq handling anomaly, 2.1.73 patch

Victor Yodaiken (yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu)
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 11:49:58 -0700

On Fri, Dec 19, 1997 at 07:18:50PM +0100, MOLNAR Ingo wrote:
> > Maybe someone with a bit of time should bite the bullet and use the apic as
> > God intended for its distribution and priority lockouts
>
> i've done the harder part of that already (look back linux-smp archives,
> i've posted the patch that activates the better parts of the IO-APIC), but
> we had bigger IRQ handling problems at that time ... now things look quite
> stable, i will try to get the dynamic IRQ routing stuff running again. Not

Please talk to me about what you are doing so that the
RT stuff does not break in some unfixable way. Linus says that the RT
won't go in until 2.2, so ...

> that this changes the fundamental problem: drivers written for UP muck
> with the card's irq line directly ...

And that's why the RT patched kernels don't have this problem (I hope).

--
Victor Yodaiken