Re: Experimental yet interesting securelevel patch :-)

Darren Reed (darrenr@cyber.com.au)
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 23:32:41 +1100 (EST)

Just re-reading some old-email, I thought I might mention that in the book
"The Basic Kernel Source Code Secrets" by Jolitz & Jolitz : 1-57398-026-9
they present another approach.

In Appendix B, they describe a method for extending root priviliedges by
replacing the standard suser() check with a more complex (but not very)
function which implements "Role-based security" combined with the notion
of the "access path" which the user is accessing the system from. Hence,
someone logged in from /dev/console can do things like fsck/fdisk/mkfs
whilst the same user logged in on ttyr5 cannot (even though they're root),
but that user can still use ping.

Darren

p.s. where can one get POSIX 1.e ? O:)

In some mail I received from Dave G., sie wrote