Re: Suggestion for handling of boot-time driver options

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
17 Dec 1997 16:31:11 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.199712150519.GAA03765@sundiver.zdv.uni-mainz.de>,
Dominik Kubla <dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de> wrote:

>Just in case you don't know: some companies don't port their commercial
>software to linux because the license of the C/C++ library would force
>them to provide the customer with the source code. No joke!

That's not strictly true. According to my reading of the LGPL, you
can avoid infection by either providing a link kit or dynamically
linking. It's not perfect (particularly considering the state of
libc4 and libc5; perhaps libc6 will be better) but it's a long ways
from having to distribute the sources.

____
david parsons \bi/ But I digress.
\/