Re: NFS problem in 2.0.32

Tall cool one (ice@mama.indstate.edu)
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 10:37:57 -0500

ketil@infotek.no writes:
> alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) writes:
>
> > Thats what I meant
>
> I'll make sure I run with 1K sizes then. I've tried both with 8K and 1K
> with very similar results.
>
> > Processes shouldnt be crashing
>
> I violently and vehemently agree to that. :-)
>
> I managed to dd an 8Mb block of zeroes to the NFS volume, although I got
> copious NFS not responding/ok messages. This took nearly half an hour,
> which amounts to about 5K/sec - somewhat disappointing. (Hopefully, I
> got the calculations right this time) With 1K blocks, I see a definite
> improvement, down to about 7 minutes (15-20K/s), but still too slow.
>
> Keeping an eye on the file on the Linux server, I see it is being
> written to in large blocks (64-200K at a time) at very long intervals.
> Another peculiarity seems to be that it is real fast up to, say, 1.5 to
> 2Mb, and then it bogs down, giving me the dreaded messages.
>
> There's also a long delay after dd has completed (output it's records
> in/out message), if that is any clue.

Just so you don't think you're crazy, or alone in this, I've seen the
exact same behavior between linux and Solaris boxes. I just chalked it up
to bad voodoo and went linux <-> linux instead.

- Steve

P.S. Logout conference!!!!!!!!!!!! =)

| Steve Baker | Barely Working | # ## # # # # #
| ice@mama.indstate.edu | System Administrator | # # # # # # # #
| Red-Hat Rulz! | Will work for hardware | # # # ## # # # #
`-- SYS-ADMIN FOR HIRE, HAVE UNIX, WILL TRAVEL --' #### # # # ## # #