Re: OFFTOPIC: Re: bzip2 for kernel dists?

Philip Blundell (Philip.Blundell@pobox.com)
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 09:32:24 +0000

>On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, AndroSyn wrote:
>
>> While on the topic of using bzip2 why doesn't somebody
>> write bzip2 support for compressed kernel images. I don't
>> know enough about kernel internals to do it myself. But if
>> nobody wants to do it, I'll hack away....
>
>EEEK NOOOOOO!!!!!!! IEEEEEE!!!!!!!! RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>I like booting durning my lifetime!
>I also like booting on a computer with 4megs of ram..
>Bzip needs termendous amount of ram to decompress in...

As ever, nobody is forcing _you_ to use it.

Some of the machines I use have plenty of RAM (usually 32MB) and plenty of CPU
power (233MHz StrongARM) but are restricted to 512KB of EPROM. Tighter
compression of the kernel, even if it meant that bootup took longer, would be
a win for me on these machines.

p.