Re: Recipe for cooking 2.1.72's mm

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 21:32:59 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'll present a way to make 72 completely unusable:
>
> Take stress, run stress mega mega mega .... (many times). Then
> enjoy. (I assume that number of mega must be bigger than your RAM+swap
> ammount).
>
> Machine is not dead, interrupt still works, magic unmount works, maybe
> it is even some userland working - kswapd is active 'only' 99% of
> time. (Debugging leds are _great_ think), hard disk does somesing very
> short about once from two seconds or so. I can see led of user
> processes flagshing _very_ shortly.

I think the system should kill some (large) non-root processes
when (free_mem + free_swap) gets below (free_pages_low +
min_free_pages)/2 and stays there for several (5?) seconds.
That kill should (ofcourse) be logged to syslog.
If killing all non-root processes doesn't work, just kill _all_
processes, remount fs-es RO, try to umount() as many as possible
and reboot with a message...

It's not a clean solution, but it's better than no solution
at all. At least the system runs again after the reboot...

Rik.
| For Linux mm-patches, go to | "I'm busy managing memory.." |
| my homepage (via LinuxHQ). | H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl |
| ...submissions welcome... | http://www.fys.ruu.nl/~riel/ |