Re: OFFTOPIC: Re: bzip2 for kernel dists?

Andrew Walker (andy@lysaker.kvaerner.no)
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 14:12:39 +0100 (MET)

Mike Kilburn wrote:

> > Hmm.. I just tried bzip2ing vmlinux.. Not a big improvement.
>
> Big is a relative term. If you are 20K short of including something you want
> then 60K extra is big. Also look at what you save for the compressed root
> file system not just the kernel image.
>
> > Tell me, in your routers could your clients stand a longer then 1 minute
> > wait just for kernel decompression (that would not be a poor guess at the
> > decompress time on a 386/25...)..
>
> 1 minute booting would be a big problem but the slowest cpu we will ever use
> now is a DX4-100.

You maybe, but there's plenty of 386/16 and 386/25 boxes out there
running Linux (not to mention 8088/8086 boxes, but that's another
story). You can't just ignore these machines/users.

-Andy

--
Andy Walker                              Kvaerner Engineering a.s.
Andrew.Walker@lysaker.kvaerner.no        P.O. Box 222, N-1324 Lysaker, Norway

......if the answer isn't violence, neither is your silence......

(pwei barmy army - oslo "filial")