Re: networking / web perf probs

Dean Gaudet (dgaudet-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org)
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 02:21:56 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 1997, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
> > listen(sock, >0)
> >
> > should be changed (in the kernel) to be something like
> >
> > listen(sock, sizeof(input queue length))
>
> I would think that is a bad idea. Some programs deliberately set a low
> listen backlog and have valid reasons for it.

I'm curious, why? Admittedly I'm a fan of long listen queues because I've
seen enough performance problems solved just by increasing the listen
queue length.

> It is easy to fix any other programs that you have source for.

And if you don't have source, my two favourite tricks are to hack a shared
lib, or to just hack the kernel itself. I've done both now to work around
commercial linux programs that don't do quite what I want them to.

Dean