RE: OFFTOPIC: Re: bzip2 for kernel dists?

Tuukka Toivonen (tuukkat@stekt.oulu.fi)
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 17:46:17 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Peter T. Waltenberg wrote:

>Nothing :), if you look on ftp.kernel.org you'll see all these .bz2 files.
>
>Incidentally, scripts/patch-kernel needs updating to handle the new option.

scripts/patch-kernel really should handle patch-x.y.z files in addition to
*.gz and *.bz/*.bz2, so that the patches shouldn't need to be compressed
(for example, if I'd have an imaginary super-compression program
whizbang, and the kernel patches were compressed using it, I have to first
uncompress the patches "whizunbang patch-*.wb" and the compress again, with
"gzip patch-*").

Or maybe one should be able the tell patch-kernel the used filename
extension and the used compression program.

Or better, both.

I have been using bzip-0.21 for a quite a long time now, and it has been
working well. It is slower than gzip, *especially* if you're low of memory,
but not 10 times, as someone said (except, of course, in special cases --
or when the data doesn't fit into memory). I don't suppose bzip2 is much
different, so it is really worth of using (bzip2 should actually be faster
than 0.21).

Leaving the *.gz patches/kernels too is good idea too, because bzip really
can be easily 10 times slower than gzip, if one has only 4-8 megs of
memory. Or maybe some people may be too lazy to install bzip.