Re: Console in 2.1.72

John Hayward-Warburton (linux@billabong.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 10:08:48 +0000 (GMT)

On 11 Dec 1997, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> Strange - are you sure you did it correctly ? I just booted a vanilla
> 2.1.72 kernel, no serial console compiled in etc, and:
> [root](~)> mknod -m 622 console c 5 1
> [root](~)> ll console
> crw--w--w- 1 root root 5, 1 Dec 11 21:19 console
> [root](~)> echo test > console
> test

Hmm.. I thought my 2.1.72 was correctly set up. But removing the
symlink from /dev/console pointing at /dev/tty0 and setting up
exactly what is written above produced:

bash: console: Operation not supported by device

Any ideas? I have no problems with 2.1.72 otherwise, and am happily
using the symlink for now (with things like syslogd working
correctly).

John Hayward-Warburton
linux at billabong dot demon dot co dot uk