Re: adding extra signals for LinuxThreads (Re: Linux 2.1.69..)

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 16:58:35 -0800

From: hpa@transmeta.com (H. Peter Anvin)
Date: 7 Dec 1997 01:46:20 GMT

sparc Trouble. Maybe we could overload SIGLOST or SIGSYS,
but I don't know. There seems to be a concept of
major and minor signal numbers on the sparc; SIGILL,
SIGEMT, SIGFPE and SIGBUS have minor numbers defined;
maybe piggybacking is possible?
sparc64 Same as sparc, but uses 64-bit masks for 64-bit
processes.

I personally don't see any problem with overloading/recycling
SIGSTKFLT if it is indeed a signal that's never used. sparc is
definitely trouble, though, but even a nonstandard signal overloading
would be better than using two signals specifically designated for the
end programmer.

Please keep in mind that the signal sub-codes on sparc/sparc64 is
SunOS compat. crapola and nothing more.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com