Re: Ideas/Suggestions for 2.2

Jim Nance (jlnance@avanticorp.com)
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 16:41:09 -0500

On Thu, Dec 11, 1997 at 09:56:55AM -0800, Ben Woodard wrote:
> Is it concievable to make something like sun's kadb but from the gdb
> sources? What kadb does is you boot it instead of the kernel and then
> it boots the kernel. Then when when an non maskable interrupt comes,
> it drops into kadb rather than rebooting.

If you run MkLinux (there is an x86 version), you are supposed to be able
to run a kernel as a user process and use gdb to debug it. This might
be useful, though I suspect a lot of bugs are dependent on not having
MACH provide the low level hardware abstraction.

Jim

Jim Nance                                                 Avant! Corporation
(919) 941-6655    Do you have sweet iced tea?       jim_nance@avanticorp.com
                  No, but theres sugar on the table.