Re: "while :; do mkdir;cd mkdir;done"

Andrea Arcangeli (arcangeli@mbox.queen.it)
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 20:03:56 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Guest section DW wrote:

>How should I know? You want to cure symptoms instead of bugs?
>If it is reproducible, someone should investigate this panic,
>and fix whatever is wrong. Having long names is not wrong.

I will investigate.

>: And how can be useful a tree that can't be reached in any way?
>
>It can be reached.

My point of view is that if I run `while :; do cd p; done`, then cwd will
point to .. Yes, you can go up and down, but you can' t know at which
point of the tree you are. Maybe I miss something...

>Ah, so it is your patch, and I understand that you want to
>limit the maximum length of pathnames. That might well be a
>violation of POSIX. Anyway, there is no good reason to impose

I know nothing about POSIX...

>such a restriction. But on your own machine you can, of course.
>I think the latest development version of rm is able to remove
>very deep trees, so this deltree utility will soon be obsolete.

rm (GNU fileutils) 3.16 is not able to remove that kind of tree. It try
to give as parameter to rmdir the fullpathname longer than PAGE_SIZE
chars, so rmdir fail returning -NAMETOOLONG.

Well, if this is out of standards I will reject the patch also for me.

Andrea[s] Arcangeli