Re: Triton DMA

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 09:42:05 +0100 (MET)

mlord wrote:

> Gerard Roudier wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, mlord wrote:
> >
> > > DMA transactions are *exactly* the same speed/timing as PIO transactions
> > > (thanks to the same cycle time of 120ns, plus pipelining/prefetch in the
> > > chipsets for the PIO transfers). Except for Ultra33 DMA, which *does*
> > > include 32-bit CRC checking (far superior to parity).
> >
> > Could the Linux IDE guy explain to a Linux SCSI guy who does
> > not want to die in ignorance, in which this 32-bit CRC is so
> > superior to parity ? ;-)
>
> A single parity bit will only detect odd numbers of bit errors
> (1-bit errors, 3-bit errors, ...), not even numbers.
>
> A 32-bit CRC will detect both even and odd numbers of bit errors.

In the beginning, parity was considered reasonable: Measurements
showed that say only one in a million bits went wrong. In that
situation, using parity is not that bad: there is just a 1 chance in a
million that a second bit error occurs in that same byte. You
possibly miss just one error in a million, 999,999 are flagged
correctly. This means that 1 in 1.25e11 bytes is incorrectly flagged
as correct while in reality it is wrong.

However nowadays we know, that it doesn't always work like that. You
might have a 1 in four million chance of a BYTE going wrong, with an
average of 4 bits wrong in that byte (i.e. the byte is completely
random). Still just one bit in a million is wrong, but a completely
random byte has a 50/50 chance of getting the right parity by
accident. So now you're getting 1 byte in 1e6 bytes flagged
as correct while in reality it is wrong.

In the first case, you get one error per day of full-time copying. In
the second case you get 5 errors per second. (Assuming 5Mb per
second).

Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** +31-15-2137555 ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ **
Florida -- A 39 year old construction worker woke up this morning when a