RE: [Q] the limited size of vmlinuz ?

Jordan Mendelson (jordy@wserv.com)
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 14:30:18 -0500

On Thursday, November 20, 1997 2:21 PM, Ju Young PARK
[SMTP:jypark@ccl.chungnam.ac.kr] wrote:

> I could comlet linux kernel compile by 'make zImage' (tried 'make
> zbImage') .. but to install just-compiled kernel.. the error message
> "/boot/vmlinuz is too big" hit me..but the file size of vmlinuz was only
> 847k byte.. I think it is small enough ..
> BTW. vmlinuz under 500k byte can be installed and work properly..
>
> I'm very curious if there's limited linux kernel(vmlinuz) size..?? If
> does, how can I overcome the limit..??

First off, make sure that you have an updated copy of lilo which can support
big vmlinuz's. Next, go into the /usr/src/linux directory and type:

make dep
make clean
make bzImage

if you want the kernel to automatically install:
make bzlilo

otherwise cd into arch/i386/boot/ and look for a file called bzImage. cp that
to wherever and run lilo.

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson     : www.wserv.com/~jordy/