Re: nfs and submounts

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 09:32:38 -0500

Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
> I'm still not having much luck with mounting both physical volumes on the
> NFS server. The server has this in /etc/exports:
>
> /usr/src air.steve.net(no_root_squash,rw,insecure,async) \
> cy.steve.net(no_root_squash,rw,insecure,async) \
> amd.fast.net(no_root_squash,rw,insecure,async)
>
> / air.steve.net(no_root_squash,rw,insecure,async) \
> cy.steve.net(no_root_squash,rw,insecure,async) \
> amd.fast.net(no_root_squash,rw,insecure,async)
>
> On the client machine "air" I am using Linux autofs, with the following
> map:
>
> amd amd.fast.net:/
> * &.steve.net:/
> cy/usr/src cy.steve.net:/usr/src
>
> If I do "cd /net/cy" on the client, it properly mounts the root of 'cy'
> under /net/cy. If I then 'cd /net/cy/usr/src', the most bizarre
> behavior begins. The first time, it mounted the /usr/src partition, but
> the underlying / disappeared. Then, when I cd'ed back to /net/cy/usr/src,
> it too was missing! Finally, it appeared as if I was trapped in a loop
> where /net/cy/usr/src on the client recursively contains a 'net'
> subdirectory, which contains... You guessed it, 'cy', etc, etc.

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure what's going on in your setup, but I have been able to get
submounts working here. I tried exporting two volumes

/usr/nfstest
/mnt/tmp

I can then mount /usr/nftest as /mnt/nfs and submount /mnt/tmp as
/mnt/nfs/tmp, and things appear to work correctly.

In your case perhaps exporting the root and a subdirectory is confusing
things? As a test, why don't you try exporting a couple of
subdirectories and see if you can mount them OK.

Regards,
Bill