Re: 2.1.65 slowdown?

Wed, 19 Nov 1997 18:23:58 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Miquel van Smoorenburg writes:
> > In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.971119095638.28363A-100000@chaos.analogic.com>,
> > Richard B. Johnson <root@chaos.analogic.com> wrote:

> > >[SNIPPED]
> > >
> > >Get the source code for init. Search for "sync()". Comment it out
> > >and re-compile.
> >
> > That might help, yes. Note that sysvinit-2.72 (the latest) already does away
> > with the sync() in the main loop.
>
> Yes, but... what's changed from 2.1.62 to 2.1.65? I didn't get this
> behaviour with 2.1.62.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard....

I think there are now fewer entries left in the dcache. Originally
entries were left until the machine was basically out of ram. This
improved performance when there were a lot of directory snippets from all
over being parsed and/or executed. However, big programs had problems
getting RAM.

Now I see a lot of pruning going on to keep some free RAM. Scripts may
suffer a bit, but programs may fare better.

With old versions of init, every time a child exited to init, the file-
system was synched. This made for a lot of disc activity when scripts
were executed as `sh do_something`, trapped by init and not bash.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Richard B. Johnson
Project Engineer
Analogic Corporation
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.65 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).