Re: dentries rule. [was: Re: Pros and cons of newer kernels]

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 09:18:47 -0500

Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> Ah, but when I do that:
>
> 2.0.31: 0.72user 5.11system 0:06.19elapsed 94%CPU (486/133)
>
> 2.1.64: 0.32user 0.57system 0:17.04elapsed 5%CPU (6x86 P150+)
>
> Just a bit of difference in the CPU usage, no? Any suggestions as to why
> the 6x86 shows so little CPU use? Top shows the system as being 97%
> idle! Could this be some odd misbehavior with the Cyrix idle patch?

Hi Steve,

It would be interesting to track down the reasons for these differences,
and perhaps we can use it to improve the 2.1.xx performance. The first
test I'd like to see is for you to switch the kernels running on the two
boxes and see what part is due to hardware/system differences.

Beyond that, see if you can distill the essence of midnight commander
into a script, and if 2.1.xx is still lagging behind I'll try to speed
it up.

Regards,
Bill