Re: kernel list spam (getting more offtopic by the day)

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cyphercom.com)
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 01:28:31 +1300

To: ADAM Sulmicki <adam@cfar.umd.edu>
Cc: "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>,
linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: kernel list spam (getting more offtopic by the day)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 11:31:05 +0000
From: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@cam.ac.uk>
Sender: owner-linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu

adam@cfar.umd.edu said:
> Just use procmail. I use the procmail + pine and it seems to work
> quite well. I recieve around 500 emails per day.

I used to use sendmail and procmail. It was extremely slow. Now I use
Exim, which does the filtering automatically, using rules in your
.forward file. I goes like the proverbial wossname off a shovel.

procmail be default is _slow_ because it pauses for 1s after delivering a
message. This is so locking will hopefully work on various NFS
implementations.

If you recompile procmail and comment out the relevant comment form
somewhere it is fairly fast.... of course, this means you can't use if via
NFS though.

-Chris