Re: update for 2.1.65 knfsd

Stefan Monnier (monnier+lists/linux/kernel/news/@TEQUILA.SYSTEMSZ.CS.YALE.EDU)
18 Nov 1997 21:39:14 -0500

Bill Hawes <whawes@star.net> writes:
> With these changes in place, it should be very rare (I'm tempted to say
> impossible :-)) to get a stale filehandle error except in the cases
> where a traditional nfs server would do so. Moving a file to a different
> directory or deleting it should result in a stale filehandle, but this
> is the correct behavior (I think).

I guess that except for unfsd users, no NFS user would claim
that such stale-filehandle-errors are correct. On all the NFS servers I
generally use, moving a file across directories works fine.

Even removing the file usually works without generating stale-filehandle-errors
(usually by not removing the file but renaming it temporarily to w file
.nfsXXXX that even most of the time gets correctly deleted when the client
closes the file). Admittedly, that behavior for deleted files is not really
guaranteed, but moving files across directories arguably should not generate
any stale-filehandle-error.

Stefan