Re: New Small Cyrix patch

Andre Derrick Balsa (andrewbalsa@usa.net)
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 17:20:32 +0100

Hi Phillip,

You seem to be making a small confusion here.

Linux Developer (Phillip) wrote:

> Sorry, 'fraid I've got you there. I made it very clear when I purchased
> this that it be Post Step2, Rev5. CPU itself has the revision markings for
> Step2, Rev7. DOS utilities report same. However, I think this is an issue
> with Cyrix, where they aren't specifying very well between revisions
> somehow. (FYI; Step2, Rev5 and earlier have some major problems with VSPM.
> Pre-Step1,Rev7 will NOT support VSPM.)

> Penguin0: Cyrix Cx6x86 PR200L+, 64M, 1.6G, 1.2G, 4.3G, EE/Pro, 2.0.30

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
note the "L" suffix

The PR200L is always a Rev 4.2 chip (which the Mike Jagdis patch will
report as step 2 rev 2). Both Rev 2.5 and 2.7 are plain, classic,
single-voltage 6x86 chips.

If your chip is marked as a rev 2.7 chip or earlier, then it's a single
voltage 6x86, _not_ the dual voltage 6x86L (which BTW has the cx8 flag
reported in /proc/cpuinfo).

See http://www.tux.org/~balsa/linux/cyrix/p5.html for a complete table
of 6x86 revisions and the various features they support.

There are three ways to check for sure:

1) Install my patch and cat /proc/cpuinfo, or

2) get6x86 -p 0xff. This will report the DIR1 value. Compare to my table
of 6x86 revisions, DIR 1 column and determine what your _really_ chip
is, or

3) use the previous Mike Jagdis patch. However, from your previous post,
you either a)patched incorrectly or b)got a buggy version of Mike's
patch or c) incorrectly read the markings on your 6x86 CPU.

I haven't heard of any Cyrix 6x86 chips incorrectly marked, but then you
may be a very (un)lucky exception.

In case you have a 6x86 single voltage CPU and have set your motherboard
for the 6x86L split rail version, it may malfunction or not function at
all. Similarly, if you have a split rail 6x86L PR200 and have
incorrectly setup your motherboard, you may have problems.

When you will have (eventually) installed my new small patch, please
report your findings to the linux-kernel list on this same thread.

I am very curious to see how the patch does with the unidentifiable
motherboards you have.

Thanks for your interesting feedback,

Cheers,

Andrew D. Balsa