Re: knfsd and system crashes

Ingo Molnar (mingo@pc7537.hil.siemens.at)
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 12:12:57 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> If there are supposed to be enormous performance improvements, I sure
> haven't seen them. Midnight Commander, which stats out an entire
> directory on a chdir, takes about 3x longer to gulp up a large directory
> under 2.1.63 (on a P150+ 6x86) than does 2.0.32 (on a 486/100, yet). This
> is not just the first time - but _every_ time. Clearly no win on this
> point...

i'm using both latest 2.0 and 2.1 kernels, and 2.1.64 wins by a great
margin. The biggest 'human visible' speedup (for me that is) was
introduced when the dentries concept was added around 2.1.4x. Eg. startup
times of 'mc', 'pine', and other tools shortened greatly, things feel much
smoother.

so if you see a 3 times slowdown, could you try either kernel profiling,
or ktrace to see where the overhead comes from. Or, much better, produce
some (short, ugly, doesnt matter) code/script that 'executes much faster
on 2.0 than on 2.1', so we can reproduce+profile+trace it. It doesnt
matter how 'corner case' that application is, if it's causing RL problems,
lets speed it up ;) Thanks,

-- mingo