Re: knfsd works, sort of.

Greg Alexander (galexand@sietch.bloomington.in.us)
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 22:38:40 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Richard Henderson wrote:

> > > Nov 16 17:43:56 barn kernel: RPC: sendmsg returned error 101
> > > Nov 16 17:43:56 barn last message repeated 3 times
> > > Nov 16 17:43:56 barn kernel: portmap: server localhost not responding, \
> > > timed out
> > >
> > > it continues on its merry way after that, though. I run mount-2.7f, btw.
> >
> > Not sure what's wrong here .. maybe things are starting in the wrong
> > order?
>
> Yep. The portmapper needs to be started _before_ you mount remote
> filesystems so that the kernel's lockd can register itself. On at
> least standard Red Hat systems, the portmapper is started later in
> the boot sequence.

That's really quite silly. My root nfs is about 1M big and only has bare
essentials to run init and mount the rest. I really don't want to start
putting all sorts of extra stuff in my root.
Thanks for explaining where the problem was.

Greg Alexander - also <gralexan@indiana.edu> - http://sietch.home.ml.org/
----
I think you bipeds have a catchphrase for it: "To thine own self be true,
..." though like a blind man's shadow, the second half is only there for
those who know it's missing. Merely a dog, I'll tell you what it is: "...
as if you had a choice."
-- William Mathews in "Homer's Seeing-Eye Dog"