Re: smbfs problems in 2.1.64

Gordon Chaffee (chaffee@CS.Berkeley.EDU)
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 17:34:32 -0800 (PST)

Bill Hawes writes:
> Do you happen to know if I could rely on the read-only attribute being
> set for an exported CD?

On the disks I've looked at in the past on NT, the read-only attribute
seems to be set. I don't know if this is always the case, however.

> > No6:24:17 zeego kernel: eth1: Interrupted while interrupts are masked! isr=0x0 imr=0x0.
>
> Don't know what this is, but I hope smbfs didn't cause it!

You can ignore this one. This is a bogus message. My SCSI and network
devices are sharing an IRQ, and the network card gets called first in
the chain. The network card prints this message since the network card
wasn't responsible for the IRQ. I had this turned off, but when I sent
Linus patches, I reenabled it so that some real problems for people not
sharing IRQs would still show up. I've been running for months, and this
has never caused any real problem.

> > Later, I got some other problems when trying to list any directories from
> > the mounted filesystems:
> >
> > No7:23:35 zeego kernel: smb_trans2_request: result=-32, setting invalid
> > Nov 16 17:23:46 zeego kernel: smb_retry: timed out, try again later
> > No7:23:46 zeego kernel: smb_lookup: find //usr failed, error=-32
> > Nov 16 17:23:57 zeego kernel: smb_retry: timed out, try again later
> > No7:23:57 zeego kernel: smb_lookup: find //usr failed, error=-5
> > Nov 16 17:23:57 zeego kernel: smb_retry: caught signal
> > No7:23:57 zeego kernel: smb_proc_readdir_long: error=-5, breaking
> > Nov 16 17:23:57 zeego kernel: smb_refill_dircache: readdir failed, result=-5
> > No7:24:04 zeego kernel: smb_retry: caught signal
>
> Something is very wrong here -- the samba server isn't giving smbfs a
> new connection. Dropping a connection is very common, but it's supposed
> to recover right away. Possible network problems?

No, no network problems. I've got two machines together on the 10Base2
ethernet, and I can ftp and scp between the two. Now, I also cannot
unmount the filesystem because it tells me it is busy.

- Gordon